Welcome to the new Level 4 NAFD Higher Funeral Directing Programme, which is externally accredited by One Awards, to recognised national occupational standards, demonstrating the NAFD’s commitment to delivering a high quality standard of learning to funeral professionals. On completion of the L4 DipFD, students will be awarded the title of Diplomate in Funeral Directing (DipFD).
The L4 Higher Funeral Directing Programme replaces the former Diploma in Funeral Directing and has been designed for experienced funeral directors who would like to aspire to the top and study to acquire new skills, improve existing ones and to be the best that they can be in their chosen occupation.
Studying for the L4 DipFD will allow individuals to improve their knowledge in the processes and procedures relating to funeral directing as well as developing enhanced skills in communication, leadership and teamwork and the modern role of the funeral director in the 21st century.
The role of the funeral director is pivotal in building and managing an efficient, compassionate, empathetic and trusted team of people to carry out all elements of the funeral from caring for the deceased, arranging the funeral and caring for grieving loved ones, and the new L4 DipFD curriculum instils skills and knowledge that has been designed to facilitate this.
On average, this training programme can be achieved within a period of 12 – 18 months. Registration is restricted to existing employees within the funeral service working in related roles, and students must be able to provide workplace evidence of funeral directing responsibilities, including the conducting of funerals prior to full achievement of the course.
The L4 DipFD is delivered in a blended learning approach through NAFD Approved tutors via remote or face to face tutorials. Assessment consists of online proof of learning assessments, evidential portfolio and final oral and written examination.
Evidence of achievement of one of the following:
- NAFD Diploma in Funeral Arranging and Administration
- NAFD Funeral Arranging and Administration Certificate
- LAFD Certificate in Funeral Arranging and Administration
- Successful completion of the NAFD DipFD Direct Entry Route
Registration and Payment:
- Eligibility for this qualification is for funeral service employees working within the funeral service aged 18+.
- Student registration commences for a period of two years upon receipt of online payment of the NAFD Registration fee. Student registration fees are inclusive of learning materials and resources and final certification, exclusive of NAFD approved tutor fees and final examination fees.
- The NAFD Registration fee is currently £265 for NAFD members and £325 for non-members.
- Tutor fees are paid separately. Tutor prices range from £1500 – £2400 and are available on request from the tutor.
For further information on the L4 DipFD, please contact the NAFD Education team.